If you have been considering orthodontic treatment for you or your child, you might have a few questions. Below are the top 10 questions our team has been asked from patients who are just starting their smile journey.
- How old do you have to be to get braces? Braces
are typically recommended for children between the ages of 9 and 13. However,
you can get braces at any age!
- How soon can I bring my child in to see an orthodontist? The American Association of Orthodontists recommends bringing your child to see an orthodontist by the time they turn seven years old. By bringing your child in to see Dr. Medina this early, you can save money and time later. Most kids at this age will not need any treatment. However, Dr. Medina can provide preventative treatment by detecting problems early.
- How much do braces cost? At Medina Orthodontics, prices vary depending on multiple factors. Expenses can also vary based on treatment options and insurance plans. Our staff will discuss with you the cost of your treatment and your payment plan options so you can make the best choice for you, and your smile. We will work with you to create a payment plan that fits your budget so you will know what to expect before beginning treatment.
- How long will I need to wear braces? Each patient’s treatment time is different based on the severity of their case. As each case is different, the duration of wearing braces varies from patient to patient. Factors like age, type of problem, and treatment affect the period of wearing braces. When you schedule your consultation with our practice, we will give you an estimated treatment time before you decide to get started. To insure you complete your treatment on time, it is important to keep your scheduled appointments. Delays in adjustments can slow progress and result extended treatment time.
- Do braces hurt? Getting braces put on does not cause any pain. For the first few days you may feel some tightness occurring as your mouth adjusts to the change. Any over the counter pain medications such as Tylenol will help with the mild discomfort.
- What can I eat with braces? We recommend staying away from anything hard or crunchy to help avoid breaking a bracket or wire. Watching your sugar intake is also key while wearing braces to avoid cavities and decalcification.
- How do I care for my braces? Caring for your braces means caring for your overall dental health. The brackets and wires of your braces provide food and plaque with the ideal hiding places, making you more susceptible to cavities if they are not cleaned. We recommend brushing your teeth about three times a day while wearing braces and flossing at least once daily. It also helps to use fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush when brushing with braces.
- How often do I have appointments? Towards the beginning of treatment, we typically see most patients every 6 to 8 weeks. As treatment progresses, we will start seeing patients more often between 4-6 weeks.
- Do I Still Need To Go To My General Dentist During My Orthodontic Treatment? Yes. In addition to regular brushing and flossing, visiting your general dentist for normal check-ups and cleanings is a key to braces success.
- Can my child’s dentist provide orthodontic treatment? While your dentist can offer orthodontic care, an orthodontist can provide prevention, diagnosis, and correction of misaligned teeth and bite patterns. A dentist can refer you to an orthodontist, but you do not need to have a referral from a dentist to make an appointment to see Dr. Medina.
Still have questions? Contact Medina Orthodontics today, and we can answer all of your questions...we even offer complimentary consultations!
Post a Comment