When your teeth are crooked, overlapped, or otherwise misaligned, you place an uneven amount of pressure when you bite down. That leads to pain, and it can cause your teeth to wear down, chip and even break. Not only that, but poorly aligned teeth are also harder to clean properly which can lead to decay and gum disease.
Braces have been used for many decades and have provided excellent results. Below are just a few of the benefits of orthodontic treatment and why braces may be the best option to improve your smile.
1. Braces Will Improve Your Appearance - Crooked teeth can make you self-conscious about your smile. Braces will gradually shift the position of your teeth until they are perfectly aligned. This will have a huge influence on your appearance and significantly improve your self-esteem.
2. Braces Make Oral Hygiene Easier - The benefits of braces are not merely esthetic. It has been proven that crooked teeth are more difficult to brush and floss. Also, food tends to be easily lodged between misaligned teeth. Therefore, after undergoing braces treatment your teeth will be straight and it will be much easier to maintain good oral hygiene.
3. Braces Can Fix Your Bite - Aside from straightening your teeth, braces can also fix other orthodontic issues. This is an aspect that is sometimes disregarded but it has great benefits for your oral health. When left untreated, a bad bite can become worse over time and result in clenching and grinding of your teeth.
4. Braces Can Help With Digestion - One of the main functions of your teeth is to cut and grind your food. This function can’t be conducted properly when your teeth are misaligned. In this case, foods are not reduced to tiny bits which can affect digestion. After braces treatment, your teeth will be much more efficient, improving your digestion.
5. Braces Reduce The Risk Of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder - Crooked teeth can lead to excess stress or pressure in your jawbone and jaw muscles. Over time, this can result in temporomandibular joint disorder which is characterized by pain and headaches. This can be prevented by straightening your teeth with braces.